Skip to main content

This is not fiction

"Agbara! Okoko!", the hoarse voice of the conductor yelled.

He smelled of local gin. His washed brown shirt had lost the first two buttons.

"Aunty, hold your change o...I no get time to look Uche face o", he ranted in his rude horrible voice.

I was irked. What manner of rudeness was that? I swerved to board the next bus.

"Oya! No vex, abeg enter my bus. Aunty mi to sure ju", his lip-praise continued to buzz in my ear.

I took a stern look at him and changed my mind. Just like Aurora in Maleficient, I felt driven by a spell as I moved straight to his bus and boarded. It was unusual to see me seated on the front seat but there I was.

"Boy! Load fast make we waka", the driver drummed into the ears of his loquacious conductor. I slipped out my phone and slided my long finger across the face of my phone as I scrolled down the list of missed calls.

"Horrible hectic day!", I grunted. "Driver! Carry person comot for here nah", I said without raising my gaze. It was obvious that I was losing patience.

"Ifeatu! Were ya nwayo",a familiar voice said calmly. I looked up and it was the driver. Yea! It was Ugochukwu.

He now had white bears, his skin pretty darkened by the malicious sun. The smile was the same except that it looked faded.

"Ugochukwu!", I shouted. He laughed out in his usual cackle-like laughter.

"What the hell are you doing in Lagos?"

He flashed a feigned smile. "Life brought me here"

I exhaled. "You were supposed to be in South Africa", I looked quizzed.

He took a deep breathe and squinted his eyes probably to reduce the entrance of sunlight into his eyes. It also helped to hold back his tears.

 "I was deported", he forced it out.

"Hmmmm!", I muttered.

"I will tell you in details what happened, give me your number and address", he said.

The journey was short but filled with familiar jokes.

All that was going through my mind was "Ugo! What happened to you". I begged that moment to become fiction but it was real.

He was a role model for me. I looked up to him. Seeing him in his smart NYSC uniform when I was in J.S.S 3 fuelled me up to pass through the university and get adorned in the same uniform.

You advised me to read. You bought me my first copy of Things fall apart and The beautiful ones are not yet born.

During the Xenophobia, I worried about you. I wanted to see you again but not like this to tell you that the Ifeatu, you used to carry on your shoulders was now a big woman. I wanted to tell you how productive your inputs were.

The amazing part is that you are alive. I wonder why I cry. Maybe because its not where I expected to see you, I have a miracle worker and he will do great things for you.

I still see you working for the LAPD, FBI, CIA......keep your hope alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado