Skip to main content

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning.

So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy.

I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock.

Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points.

"We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shadow of gloom covering their faces.

"Group B, choose your question", my voice informed them of the next round. Instead of announcing their chosen number, they whispered in each other's ears and giggled.

"Number 6,Ma!", Lanre answered on behalf of his group.

The rest of the story might be too long to continue but I learnt something.

The family that wins together eats a jointly cooked broth.
-Andrew Ifeatu Jennifer

Synergy is two or more things functioning together to produce a result not independently obtainable. The term synergy comes from the Greek word synergia from synergos, meaning "working together".

In the context of organizational behavior, following the view that a cohesive group is more than the sum of its parts, synergy is the ability of a group to outperform even its best individual member.

Teamwork makes the dream work.
-Bang Gae

It is the magic in working with others; it’s the power of synergy, the 1+1=3 formula, where strength is multiplied by people working together.

The power of synergy cannot be swept under a carpet. Whenever you find yourself in a group or team, don't hide yourself like some old coin hidden under the ground by Jaja of Opobo. You are there for a reason but its up to you to show it. You have something that no one else can offer the way you offer it.

Share in the responsibility of your team, contribute your quota, spur them to victory and make yourself a victor.

When your team wins, You win!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy ...

A letter from John

My bucket hat donned my head. It served the scorching sun right, my scalp was not one to be burnt for no offense. I relaxed my tired body against the board of the trawler. James yelled at me, "Don't just sit there and watch I and father. We will still catch some fishes, you can't just lose hope",he seemed to say. I peered at him through the corner of my eyes and closed them again. I felt cold water being sprinkled on me and I jerked up. It was father, I had no choice but stand up and join James.. I was not a man who wanted too many things. All I wanted was to catch some fishes yet the little things kept hiding and refusing to walk into the loving embrace of my fishing net. I may not desire many things but I sure desired to be loved not the kind of erotic love some of those Samaritan women would profess to men who lust after whore mongering. I sought for a love that was pure and chaste. A type that I couldn't even explain. I sought to be loved deeply by G...

WHY YOU MIGHT SPOT ME AT A GAME HOUSE

Chukwuebuka had been my friend for a long time.  I had come visiting and he had just bought a new Play Station 4 set way back then. We sat and discussed about  the Nigerian school system to politics, to social trends and ofcourse literature.  He had been waiting for 'the boys' so he could 'trash them' in a game.  "I would like to play," he gave me the 'girls-don't-play-games kind of smile but I insisted.  Five minutes into the game, he had a knowing smile on his face as he stared at me to the gamepads and back to the screen. One thing was certain, it was not the first time I 'd touch a gamepad. Growing up with my male cousins groomed me for that.  Life itself is a game and realising this in good time will help you pull through it with ease. Life is designed just like games just like your favourite Candy Crush to Grand Theft Auto , Super Mario or even Temple Run . It teaches you to scale hurdles and unlock higher realms of operation. Ga...