Skip to main content

WE CAN OPEN OUR BLIND EYES


If you thought that we go blind when the light fails our eyes, it's likely you believe that snowballs fallen on the floor are scoops of ice cream cascading from the skies.

There is a thing about the generation that tends to stir the leadership of this country when the frail ones visit the land of no return. We love 'big things.'

Big phones, big cars, big houses, big dreams, big husbands, big wives, big names or just about anything as long as it has the prefix 'Big.' You can't blame us! 

We are the Millenials, the Gen-Z, no other generation has had a name as hip as ours. The digital era heralded us. So, No! You can't blame us. 

But the next time we desire something big, let us remember that tiny pieces of sedimented particles make a huge rock. 

Let us bring our bigness to remind us that a young Nigerian boy named Dr. Emeagwali carefully studied the efficient ways in which bees communicate and build honeycombs and decided to create a computer that could work that way.

Mark Zuckerberg thought of a better way to have us gossip, scribble notes, pass to each other amidst frowns and giggles and ofcourse make friends. That's how our beloved Facebook was birthed. 

Let us be reminded that the Wright brothers taught it will be super cool to ride on the back of a big bird and now we fly in Boeing planes and jets. 

Or I should let you know that Odunayo Eweniyi allows me to carry my kolo or piggy bank on my mobile phone and save on the go. 

The makeshift church behind my father's house has a way of annoying me when I am home on Friday nights. With blaring speakers, they sing;

"I can see everything turning around, everything turning around
See everything turning around, everything turning around
For my good."

Things are turning around indeed. Businesses, inventions, education, production, just about everything is undergoing disruption.

So we are cut up in a fast and furious race but before you place your fingers on the Start Line to sprint to our 'Big Thing,' bear in mind that disrupting industries, sectors come from solving problems and as well tackling the small things. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy ...

A letter from John

My bucket hat donned my head. It served the scorching sun right, my scalp was not one to be burnt for no offense. I relaxed my tired body against the board of the trawler. James yelled at me, "Don't just sit there and watch I and father. We will still catch some fishes, you can't just lose hope",he seemed to say. I peered at him through the corner of my eyes and closed them again. I felt cold water being sprinkled on me and I jerked up. It was father, I had no choice but stand up and join James.. I was not a man who wanted too many things. All I wanted was to catch some fishes yet the little things kept hiding and refusing to walk into the loving embrace of my fishing net. I may not desire many things but I sure desired to be loved not the kind of erotic love some of those Samaritan women would profess to men who lust after whore mongering. I sought for a love that was pure and chaste. A type that I couldn't even explain. I sought to be loved deeply by G...

WHY YOU MIGHT SPOT ME AT A GAME HOUSE

Chukwuebuka had been my friend for a long time.  I had come visiting and he had just bought a new Play Station 4 set way back then. We sat and discussed about  the Nigerian school system to politics, to social trends and ofcourse literature.  He had been waiting for 'the boys' so he could 'trash them' in a game.  "I would like to play," he gave me the 'girls-don't-play-games kind of smile but I insisted.  Five minutes into the game, he had a knowing smile on his face as he stared at me to the gamepads and back to the screen. One thing was certain, it was not the first time I 'd touch a gamepad. Growing up with my male cousins groomed me for that.  Life itself is a game and realising this in good time will help you pull through it with ease. Life is designed just like games just like your favourite Candy Crush to Grand Theft Auto , Super Mario or even Temple Run . It teaches you to scale hurdles and unlock higher realms of operation. Ga...