Skip to main content

Ekwensu's Harvest

Episode 2

"Good tidings, I bring," Ekwensu said as he advanced. He was lanky with cocky eyes that had mischief embedded in them and legs that looked like ill-nutured yams.

"The last time you said those words, you came here to tell me that you were tired of learning the tricks of hunting,"Amadioha said.
"Well, certainly not today", Ekwensu replied and cleared his throat. Amadioha drank the last portion of palm wine in his cup then flung his hand over the soil as if to empty the cup of the very last drop of wine.
"Can I have some wine? " Ekwensu asked, looking at the gourd.
Anyanwu shot him an angry look. "How dare you drink with men who have toiled all day?"
Ekwensu was irked. "Amadi! Warn your brother o!"
Amadioha chuckled. "He speaks the truth but Nnaa give him even if its a cup."
Anyanwu bowed the gourd, poured out the wine and offered it to Ekwensu.

He sipped from the cow horn cup and exhaled. "I have thought about my life as a man and decided to farm."
Amadioha shook his head. "Hmmm. From hunting to farming, Ekwe?"
"Amadi, you should be happy for me."
"I am but we all know that you are lazy."
Ekwensu stood up, his face looking serious. "I am a changed man."
Amadioha looked at him for some time. "Ok."
"I need a favour from you. I need a piece of land to farm, the one I have is not fertile."
"The fact is I don't have a dormant land at the mean time. I gave out my last land at the boundary to Ogbunaabali for this season," Amadioha said.
"Hmmmm! Not even one for your friend?" Ekwensu asked, his eyes becoming moist.
"It sounds bad but I speak the truth."

Ekwensu bowed his head to the ground, his face was pale and sober. He drank the wine in silence. After he had emptied the cup, he stood up. "I must go back home because I had promised Onwa that I would help her split the firewood tonight."
Amadioha nodded.
"Have you seen her lately?"
"No. Ekwe, you are my friend but Onwa and I are not meant to be."
"Hmmm. Another shocking blow," Ekwensu muttered as he struck his bushy beard.
Amadioha patted him on the back. "In-laws or not, we are still friends."

He walked alongside Ekwensu till they got to the exit path of the compound then he bidded him goodbye and turned back. Ekwensu walked for a while then stopped, looking lost in thought.
"He does not have a land to offer me. He would not take Onwa as his wife but he will surely take what I have to offer him."
He flipped his finger and laughed hysterically. He stopped laughing and beat his chest.
"I remain Ekwensu, god of treachery and mischief who wields the human thought as a tool."
He grinned, shook his head and muttered under his breath. "He who plays surugede should be ready to dance with the spirits."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado