Skip to main content

Lopound Virus 4

My sick mother would say "The old woman never gets tired of the familiar dance steps." Prior to this time, I thought it to be some old lady's gibberish but Prof proved my thoughts to be wrong.

He had unearthed all the facts concerning the black-op. It was a black operation called 'Operation Lopound' which had  already been blacklisted and destroyed by the intelligence service of the United World Organization till these sons of doom resurrected it.

Another ally in the plot was the Congolese government who had supplied a massive amount of cobalt to a certain phone manufacturing company called Tinkstar Technologies hidden under the conniving wings of the European assembly.

The cobalt chip had been cloned with dermaloglyphic and telepathy influenced technology to extract fat-soluble vitamins in human bodies. Activated only by clicking delete on a crappy message that read;

I dropped 10pounds in a couple weeks thanks to these berry-drops I got it here, type in website with nospaces--->www.noloss.com

Puffy eye bags, a slouched back,worn out face and scanty strands of hair on my bald head were the result of the eventual visit of the mountain to Mohammed.

He had suggested that the only way to shut down the program was to hack a viral programme into it. The three programmes we had come up with failed to infiltrate it.

"We should get back to work", I was startled by Prof's voice. I stretched my body and felt my bones make cracking sounds.

"Sir, we need to rest. I am fagged out", I whined

He shook his head. "I pity your generation. Lazy folks! Who are not ready to work. The Chinese who invented this technology since the 19th century are not resting on their oars, their inventions have doubled and you who have not even saved your mother craves for rest", he scolded.

The sound of 'your mother' sent my ears tinging. If mother dies, I would have failed as a son. I dragged myself up from the cushion where I was relaxing.

"Get up! Get up! Son of a bald man", Prof's hoarse voice spurred me. I laughed while he chuckled.

"Bald men always think on their feet and are bold..... Pull the bull by the horn", he urged me.
I believe Prof would have done well as a motivational speaker but the man had never seen the possibility. He had a personal dislike for them, he called them the folks that passes a current that charges ten laptops, ten power banks and ten phones. Eccentric man,indeed.

He faced his laptop while I buried my head in mine. This had been our regular posture for the past one month.
I keyed in the programme. We had a bit of alteration on it in the morning. Prof had insisted we use Fortran instead of Basic which I was pretty familiar with.

My finger slided on the keyboard to click on debug. The frustrating programme had refused to run. I slammed the lid of the laptop close then headed to the room for my shoes. Prof watched me like a lunatic that had escaped from  rehab.

I had my hand on the door knob.

"Where are you going, young man?", he inquired

"To get my head clear", I snapped. I stepped out and banged the door behind me.

**********************

My house looked like where some rodents had a reunion party. Maybe I just needed to stay away from computers, writing and running programmes that were always bounced back to me by errors.

I unzipped my trousers and flung them close to the shoe rack  in the room. I had no plans of stretching the curtains.

"Just remain there!", I yelled at them like they could hear me.

My burning furiousness led me to the bathroom. Water was all I needed. I turned the faucet on and submitted my body to the treatment of the cascading cold water from the shower and for the first time in a long while, I wept.

I wept for my failure, my frustrations and fear of being the man who lost his priceless mother and darling Abike.

I had lost count of the number of times, I had ignored Prof's calls. The whole thing proved futile. I didn't want to go back there and keep fooling myself that I would get it right soon. Planet Z continued to  play the role of the soothing maiden who offered me bottles of head-spinning liquids that drowned my burdens. Not for a very long time but it was manageable.

I had gulped down three bottles and  awaited for the busty waitress who pulled the endowment behind her like a towing van dragging a nineteen ninety five modeled Volvo wagon behind it.

I felt my phone buzz, it was a text message from Prof. It read:

"Help! Kene! I am in trouble"

I chuckled. The old man had to re-strategize. The stunt he pulled was too easy to believe. I was not just ready to go back to that feeling of misery each time the programme crashed. "Shut down", I commanded and the voice activated sensor did my bidding.

I sipped from my large tumbler and nodded to the rhymes of Damian Marley and Bruno Mars.

"I'll take one shot for my pain
One drag for my sorrow
Get messed up today
I'll be okay tomorrow
One shot for my pain
One drag for my sorrow
Get messed up today
I'll be okay tomorrow"


Those lines were terrible lies. Being 'okay' tomorrow was a big fat lie, I woke up the following morning with a migraine. My heavy head tried to calculate how to split my time today and visit mama and Abike. My weak muscles failed to help me crawl out of bed.

Buzz! Buzz! Who in  the heavens would call me that early.

I punched the receive key. "Hello!", my hoarse sleepy voice croaked.

"Mr Kene! Could you please come down to area H police station? It really important", a voice said from the other end.

"I have done nothing", I yelled.

"Yea, we need to ask you certain questions. Professor Mbakwe was murdered last night, your number was the last dialed number on his phone", the officer  informed me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado