Skip to main content

Lopound Virus 5










They had got be kidding.

Prof was my last resort to solving the Lopound puzzle and they said he was murdered,just like that?

"Liars! I was this close!" I yelled and sobbed uncontrollably. My hands reached for the piggy bank souvenir and tossed it against the mirror.  I hated life for making things tough for me.

I hated myself for abandoning an important mission to embrace bottles. Bottles of stupid liquid that left your pockets empty and your head heavy with a migraine. I just had to get to the police station.


Stone cold! That was the description of Prof's corpse at the morgue, the murderers carted away all we had worked on. I had to start afresh. But with who? Who would I trust enough to spill out such information to? I had so much going on for me.... Perhaps I should tell mama but her health was at stake, stories like this could aggravate her health condition.

I was alone and scared.


My annual leave ended when I actually needed it most. When the madness around me had grown fangs and claws.
I walked into the building that I had left for a month. Nothing had changed. I shared banters with few colleagues and headed for my duty post. Ochuko trailed me at a brisk pace.

"Oh boy! You no know say meeting dey for conference room", he asked in his thick warri accent.

Being absent from a general meeting attracted deduction from your salary. I hurried to the conference room. It was a good thing that the meeting had not commenced.


The director presided over the meeting. "Its an honour to have the secretary general of the UWO  in our midst in  person of  Mr Clifford Oppong", he announced. It was a surprise that the Secretary General flew into the country for an ordinary meeting like our's. Mr Oppong stood up to acknowledge the cheers and applaud.

"It feels good to be here where I started this journey. Having laid down forty active years in service, I must say that you are all family. I am happy to be here", Mr Oppong expressed himself.

He was revered and admired as a demigod. His power of oratory was likened to that of Zeus by some global intellectuals.

He stood up and adjusted his polka dot tie. The black suit shone like bitumen. He cleared his throat,

"I am elated to be here today and of course you know when I visit regional quarters there is always a tendency that someone will get a promotion for our selfless service to humanity", he reminded us. He stepped aside from the podium to whisper into the ears of the DG who sat behind him then returned back to his initial position.

"Omoregie Efe, Ibe Jane, Tajudeen Lateef, Usman Sani, please come up to the stage",he said with an air of calmness. Applaud and whistling erupted in the room.

I watched Jackson closely. He was five seats away from where we sat. The conference room was a bit chilly yet he was sweating. I saw him wipe his face a couple of times with a white handkerchief and walked out of the meeting room.

The recipients of the various awards mounted the podium. They grinned from ear to ear. Efe was not supposed to be there. The sight of him being among the award recipient made my belly churn.

Mr oppong smiled,"These are men who have distinguished themselves in their various department, before we proceed let the projector operator show us a clip", he said holding the microphone and tilting his head to the left.

The guy handling the projector moved in swift movement to do as he was told.
Eye-service! Perhaps it now that  he intended  gaining his own award?

Soon the white board showed a beam of light and a video clip began to play. A man dressed in a black mask entered a very familiar room. He rummaged through files on a long mahogany table then an older man walked in. The masked man held a gun to the older man's head,he collected some files and shot him. Was it a dream? The older man was Prof and this was his office.

He opened a laptop but it seemed he was having difficulties with operating it. He yanked the mask off his head to view well into the screen. The camera zoomed in to reveal Efe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado