Skip to main content

HOW I RESOLVED MY BEEF WITH MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS


One of the group of people I detested coming in contact with as an undergraduate in the university were motivational speakers. I actually came up with a quote that some of my old friends from university still remind me of,  "Motivational speakers are folks who speak words that can charge three laptops, five phones and two power banks then the whole power fizzles away in a minute."

My mindset had been wired that my inspiration should come from these motivational speakers. In my first and second year, I would attend any event I got an invite just to get inspired. However, when I got to my third year, I knew I was basically wasting my time. So I resorted to resentment for motivational speakers.

With time, I found a way of tapping my inspiration from the sports world. So, I would watch tennis, football, boxing, wrestling and basketball. At the time, it was the 'real deal' for me.

The truth I found later was that these guys were just like the gods in Ola Rotimi's The gods are not to blame. In my connection with them, they were sinless and I was the sinner. Inspiration and constant motivation come from within.

Last year, I got invited to speak to some students at the University of Ibadan. The first thought that cropped up in my mind was  "Jennie, you are not going to subject these young people to what you experienced. Will you?" I knew that would hunt my conscience. I had to tell them what I was not made to understand.

I set to work to prepare my slide and presentation. On the podium, I ensured to remind the students that after all they had heard, continuing with it would be their lifelong assignment. I couldn't scream and prance on a stage without telling them to look within themselves. The truth is motivational speakers are no miracle workers.

On my way home, I had a smile spread across my 'not-so-chubby' cheeks and a reassurance that someone in that crowd will not take on the mistake the younger 'me' made.

Sometimes we are lucky to get inspired and motivated by other people but this is usually fleeting. The  root of inspiration and motivation comes from you. What you may have been waiting for to push you, lies within you.

You are the source, you came prepared. You are one amazing auto-installed biocomputer.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy ...

WHY YOU MIGHT SPOT ME AT A GAME HOUSE

Chukwuebuka had been my friend for a long time.  I had come visiting and he had just bought a new Play Station 4 set way back then. We sat and discussed about  the Nigerian school system to politics, to social trends and ofcourse literature.  He had been waiting for 'the boys' so he could 'trash them' in a game.  "I would like to play," he gave me the 'girls-don't-play-games kind of smile but I insisted.  Five minutes into the game, he had a knowing smile on his face as he stared at me to the gamepads and back to the screen. One thing was certain, it was not the first time I 'd touch a gamepad. Growing up with my male cousins groomed me for that.  Life itself is a game and realising this in good time will help you pull through it with ease. Life is designed just like games just like your favourite Candy Crush to Grand Theft Auto , Super Mario or even Temple Run . It teaches you to scale hurdles and unlock higher realms of operation. Ga...

A letter from John

My bucket hat donned my head. It served the scorching sun right, my scalp was not one to be burnt for no offense. I relaxed my tired body against the board of the trawler. James yelled at me, "Don't just sit there and watch I and father. We will still catch some fishes, you can't just lose hope",he seemed to say. I peered at him through the corner of my eyes and closed them again. I felt cold water being sprinkled on me and I jerked up. It was father, I had no choice but stand up and join James.. I was not a man who wanted too many things. All I wanted was to catch some fishes yet the little things kept hiding and refusing to walk into the loving embrace of my fishing net. I may not desire many things but I sure desired to be loved not the kind of erotic love some of those Samaritan women would profess to men who lust after whore mongering. I sought for a love that was pure and chaste. A type that I couldn't even explain. I sought to be loved deeply by G...