Skip to main content

PUNGENT SMELL AND SWEET-SMELLING FRAGRANCE



Academic carryovers, guilt and cologne have something in common. They all have a certain smell. The first two have pungent smells while cologne has a sweet-smelling fragrance, it could be vanilla, oceanic, floral or even oriental.

The interesting part about them is that the extent which this smell last depends on the individual wearing it.

I am a proud 90's baby. I am one of the lucky millennials who happen to be enjoying the beauty of social media. I know a place where everyone is perfect, where everyone has no worries and that's on social media.

Lately, a young friend had reached out to me lamenting on how she was a failure because she had gotten a carryover. She is an undergraduate in one of our Nigerian higher institutions. She further stated that she felt less ashamed of telling me because of how I relate to her.

I listened intently and at the end of her narration, I was just staring at her, Perhaps she was waiting for a backlash.

"I had three carryovers in my first semester in school and I am not dead yet,"  I said to her with a smile. She could not believe it but that was the truth. It was not an attempt to make her feel good. It was nothing but the truth.

I had gotten admitted into school just a few weeks to the first semester exams in school. There was so much to read, so much to understand, too many laboratory practicals to catch up with ... all thanks to the Nigerian 'beautiful' academic system of admission.

After my first year, I checked my results. I had bagged three carryovers in three (4unit) courses.  I had to rethink if I really wanted to be in school or just go back home. One thing was certain, I had to go an extra mile. I took the path to travel the extra mile and gained reasons to still raise my head high when I show up at interviews after I had left school.

That experience didn't dim my light or break me. It made me stronger than I could have ever been. I realised that I had to show up for myself always.

Similarly, people go through experiences that leave them silently dying in shame and guilt because they may have dabbled into circumstances that they are not so proud of. Almost everyone has been there.

The fact is unpleasant situations will occcur. Screaming "Holy Ghost fire or Back to Sender" has got nothing on this.  The most important part is ... Did it break you? Did it make you feel guilty even after you have turned a new leaf? Did it define you as a person?

If your answer is YES then you need stop punishing yourself.

Carryovers and guilt are not like Aunty Taiwo, they don't SMELL NICE or look as beautiful as a golden neckpiece. Kindly dump those foul-smelling things in the bin and give yourself another opportunity.

Your life is a book and you can turn new pages whenever you want.

Stick to your new resolutions, You are in charge.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado

IFEATU'S BUS CHRONICLE: THE FEAR OF THE WORD 'ASHEWO' IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM

Aluta Continua is one chant that resonates with everyone who has passed through a Public University in Nigeria and allowed school to equally pass through them.  Aluta Continua  is a Portuguese saying, meaning "The struggle continues". It is highly believed that it was discovered as an inscription on Kunta Kinte's commemorate. The correct wording of the phrase is actually " A luta continua , vitória é certa" meaning, "The struggle continues, victory is certain". It is the motto of the all- Nigerian  Students Union across all academic institutions of higher education. Coincidentally, anytime I am opportune to leave Lagos for a couple of days, weeks or months. On return, it's impossible not to observe the yellow striped buses and what comes to my mind is, "Aluta Continua, Drama é certa. I t is impossible for me to guarantee you that there will not be drama on a yellow bus.  This morning, our bus is riding at a slow pace with some passe