Skip to main content

HOW LAGOS SPOILT ME SILLY



I have a thing for geographical places. Each place, I have visited or lived in leaves an emotion or lifelong lessons for me. Some are pleasant and some are not too pleasant but the fact is that they all come bearing something.

Lagos is one of my best cities. Sometimes she comes with a feeling of nostalgia, sometimes anger, on other times an enormous explosion of unexplainable positive energy and on somedays some sort of craziness. The good thing about her is that she has something to offer. I have a habit of staying away from places where my emotions are blank.

Lagos is a doting mother who spoils you silly like her only child if you understand her. Sometimes, I get really embarassed when people ask me how I have the time to read or write.  This is because the answer usually at the tip of my tongue that I do not let out is that, "Lagos has taught me to maximize my time."

When I started working, I apparently started realising how useless sitting in traffic could make you. However, one good thing I have learnt over the years is whenever I find myself in the worst situation, I ask myself what good thing could possibly stem out of the situation. 

This led me to spend my 'traffic jam time" reading or most likely writing.  I conditioned my mind that  every time I found myself in traffic, 'Mother Lagos' was silently whispering "Develop yourself for a few minutes or probably hours." It is fair enough to use the irony of Lagos spoiling me whereas it has thought me to maximize time. 

I remember having the mindset that having a driver was a luxury however, with time I have realised that it is a necessity. This is not because you cannot drive or are lazy but because time is of the essence and you sure do not mind having a partner to share that labour with while you are maximizing your time. 

Just around the emergence of the taxi cab hailing company, Uber. One of my mentors would hail a cab on her way home. When she told me about it, I dismissed it as an extravagant gesture but with time, I have come to realise that she did what was right at the time to enable her work even on her way home. 

Every moment that you’re tempted to procrastinate or do something useless, you should remind yourself that this is a moment you will never get back. You have to learn to make the most of your time so that you don’t have to look back through the years with regret.
This doesn’t mean you have to be working every moment of the day. On the contrary, some of the most meaningful uses of your time are spent not being busy, but being with family and friends. Even if you’re just talking or playing games, these are the times you will remember fondly.

After all Mike Okri, one the distinguished pacesetters in the modern Nigerian highlife music left us some piece of advice

Time na money o Time na money -- Time na money hey Time na money Make you use your time well No wakawaka No gossip gossip No spoil another man Use your time well Do better thing Money no dey come from heaven Do better thing money go come Na true word I dey tell you so oo Oninado

From me to you to Jeff Bezos to Oprah Winfrey to Mark Zuckerberg. We have two things in common. We are all humans and have twenty-four hours in a day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado