Skip to main content

IFEATU'S BUS CHRONICLE: THE MILITARY, MARRIAGE AND BIBLE GETS A SEAT ON THE YELLOW BUS



One of the places that you should never judge people by the way they look is in Lagos and Onitsha. In the former, a stray looking guy might be a military officer and in the latter, a guy looking like a pauper might just be your unknown landlord.

Fridays are my happiest. I just let myself get lost in my daydreaming and indulge myself in the luxury of waiting for the long-expected weekend.

Today, the road is free. We ride in calmness except for the sound from the engine that depicts acceleration in our pace. A man dressed in Ankara is seated by my right and a lady holding her umbrella and looking lost is seated by my left. We approach Costain and just as the bus tends to swerve a careless bike rider attempts a rough overtaking.

Our infuriated driver is yelling at him as well as the passengers.

In Nigeria, some questions don't pose as questions. "Are you mad? Are you crazy?" Our driver is hurling at the indeed crazy biker.

The bike rider is obviously the obstinate one. He does not have an inch of remorse on his face.

Instead, he shoots back. "You are the one who is mad. You are the one who is crazy. Do you know who I am?" The man apparently in his fifties pulls up his bike and alights. He charges towards our driver's door with a military belt in his hand.

My heart is panting. Will this just be a whoop of assses or proper combat like a Jason Statham Vs Arnold Schwarzenegger. I am not certain. All I can do is stare.

The bike rider approaches and our driver alights pulling off his tracksuit trousers. Does he want to fight naked? Holy Moses! Who fights naked?

Nobody does, the tracksuit reveals his camouflage shorts. He is a military man. Some passengers are delighted knowing it will be a fair match.

"Na army to army!" A man seated in front informs the rest of the spectators. They throw some missed jabs till a passenger alights informing them of how inappropriate it was for uniformed men to be fighting before civilians. An action movie was nipped in the bud, just like that.

They hurl insults at each other and our driver heads back to the car while we zoom off.

"I will make sure you are disciplined. You are too small to be messing up," our driver promises the defaulting biker.

Our journey proceeds, only to be stopped a few minutes into the time by a boarding passenger. He is holding a bible and humming a hymn.

"Oga, your money!" The driver asks with an air of calmness. The preacher-like man fumbles his pocket to bring out a dirty rumpled hundred naira note.

"This your money no good." The guy seated next to him warns him while also handing the money to the driver.

"Na 150, I call for you. "The driver insists.

"Na wetin I hear, I give you so." He counters.

There is an altercation. Brash words are exchanged but the driver is intent on taking the amount he had mentioned.

"You are a very stupid man but my God will vindicate me," Uncle Preacher man shoots at the driver then the sense of calmness in the bus was lost.

"Pastor wey dey curse person, wehdone sir!" A plump lady seated in the middle row mocked him.  The table of decorum had been broken, passengers hurled insults at the man with his bible and I could only but pray their insults don't tear his bible.

The drama gets its denouement, Preacher man pays his due fair and we move forward.  It's the final bus stop at CMS and we all alight.

I pop my head in the driver's window, "Oga where my change?" I ask.

"I don give your husband," He says with a gesture pointing to a man wearing a similar Ankara as I was. The man had been my seat partner on the bus and I hardly noticed we were wearing the same fabrics.

"Husband ke?" I ask rhetorically.

Matchmaking might be cool but certainly not on a Friday when I was running late to work.  I snatch a two hundred naira in his hand  and gave him a heads up - "Go collect your money, no be my husband be  that"

I honestly don't like what I hate.

Military Bus 1 Vs Military Bike 0

Bus People 1 Vs Preacher Man 0

Jennie 1  Vs  Driver   0 


Comments

  1. Lol

    The matchmaking part though.

    Very interesting one.

    Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao
    ... our driver alights pulling off his tracksuit trousers. Does he want to fight naked? Holy Moses! Who fights naked?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado