Skip to main content

GUESS WHO? I JUST ATTRACTED A NEW READER



"Many of you will not pay your bills from a job that is related to what I teaching you in this class," Mr Iwuala said in his usual didactic tone during an Immunology class.  He was my university lecturer in the Department of Public Health at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. 

It was my last year in school. A tiny voice within me whispered, "Jay, you are in this category."

How dare you? I swore under my breath during the same class. Every time I reflect on that moment, I just can't help laughing. Truly, I have not been so much involved in the health sector until lately when I started writing health articles to bring my 'prodigal self' closer to home. 

This year, I promised myself to put my thoughts in prints and have people read them amidst giggles, anger, laughter and tears. So, I proceeded to have Ekwensu's Harvest in prints. 



Have you read it?

Reviews and encomiums have been pouring in. I wouldn't lie that I have not been happy about that feat. However, I was most bothered about how to attract another reader into my fold of avid readers.

No, it's not Dangote, Otedola or Soyinka. It's my father. 

I and my father have often had 'not-too-pleasurable' situations as a result of writing. He called it a 'waste of time.'  After the publishing of Ekwensu's Harvest, I could not show him the work. I  was not certain of what reaction I 'd get till last week. 

I had made up my mind to give him a copy irrespective of what he thought. 

I remember getting home and after roaming around the house for a while. I walked into the living room and met him burrowed in his newspaper. 

"Dad!" I called out. 

"Hmmmm!" There was a grunt. He hesitated then lifted his face to meet mine. I placed his copy into his palm and watched his face for a reaction. 

His reaction was a shock, a sudden unexplainable calmness and then a smile when he looked at the author's name. 

"When did you do this?" He enquired. 

I responded. His smile still lingered. 

It didn't end there for me. I wanted to know if the smile was superficial. So, I waited till morning to see if what the night had birthed was real. 

The next morning was Sunday. I was getting set for church when I heard a knock on my door. 

"Daddy, Good morning!" 

"Uhumm! Kedu?" He said peering into my face for perhaps some kind of reaction. I figured out he had seen what he wanted. Our awkward silence most times speaks a lot of words. 

"I am hoping to read your next book this year, okwa ya?" 

I nodded. He smiled and one thing was sure that I had gotten the avid reader I wanted. 

It is not in our place to force people to believe in us. When they don't, it is not their fault neither is it ours. Our fault lies in putting in the work to give them something to believe in even without being cajoled. 

Share your thoughts about this piece with me in the comment section.  I look forward to reading from  you. 

If you intend getting a copy of Ekwensu's Harvest
Click on the link below:


Or reach me via Whatsapp: +2348035725157
Email: andrewifeatuj@gmail.com 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado