Skip to main content

WALK IN EMPTY, WALK OUT WITH A BAG



"I will like to walk into a place empty and walk out with bags," I said with an air of carefreeness. 

"You are on a road trip to being a bandit," My friend chuckled. 

Come to think of it. Only a woman with a gun walks into a place with an empty bag and walks out with a bag full of goodies.  What direction is my merry-go-round talk headed?

The unwanted marksman who never misses a shot in a squad,  the industrious wife of a lazy man whom he never sends away, the arrogant ultra-skilled employee who can't be fired, and the badly behaved yet talented Mario Balotelli of the 2010 Inter Milan squad all have something in common. 

As much as they are not totally indispensable, they had value to offer. This is what kept all the individuals mentioned in place. 

I am no proponent of behaving in an uncultured manner but suffice me to say, that the good, bad and ugly is a triad. 

Value is the leverage that enables you walk in as a nobody with an empty bag and walk out with your head high and a bag full of goodies. Value is evident irrespective of wherever you are; home, school, work, organisation or even in the clouds ...ask the sun, everything smiles when it's out. 

One sweet thing about your value is that it is returned to you in the form of appreciation. We have different names for this: commendations, recommendations, fees, costs, charges, tickets, etc. 

Did you notice something interesting? The word “value” and the word “money” are both five-lettered? 

But, hey! Do you have value? You are trying to figure this out, I know. 

Do people recommend you, pay for your services, ask for advice, appreciate your presence, see the need to partner with you or even look for you?  Then you are the MVP!

On some days, I wish value is something we could build like a skyscraper along the street of Lagos Island and walk away but that's absolutely impossible. 

Creating or building value is a continuous activity. It is a lifelong journey.  

So how do you about this 'abstract talk' on creating value?
  • Build your personal brand 
  • Build your competence and sharpen your skills 
  • Build your self-worth 
  • Toot your horn 
  • Be fierce about your pursuit of excellence 

"Try not to be a man of success but a man of value" - Albert Einstein. 

Is creating value a priority for you? 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy ...

A letter from John

My bucket hat donned my head. It served the scorching sun right, my scalp was not one to be burnt for no offense. I relaxed my tired body against the board of the trawler. James yelled at me, "Don't just sit there and watch I and father. We will still catch some fishes, you can't just lose hope",he seemed to say. I peered at him through the corner of my eyes and closed them again. I felt cold water being sprinkled on me and I jerked up. It was father, I had no choice but stand up and join James.. I was not a man who wanted too many things. All I wanted was to catch some fishes yet the little things kept hiding and refusing to walk into the loving embrace of my fishing net. I may not desire many things but I sure desired to be loved not the kind of erotic love some of those Samaritan women would profess to men who lust after whore mongering. I sought for a love that was pure and chaste. A type that I couldn't even explain. I sought to be loved deeply by G...

WHY YOU MIGHT SPOT ME AT A GAME HOUSE

Chukwuebuka had been my friend for a long time.  I had come visiting and he had just bought a new Play Station 4 set way back then. We sat and discussed about  the Nigerian school system to politics, to social trends and ofcourse literature.  He had been waiting for 'the boys' so he could 'trash them' in a game.  "I would like to play," he gave me the 'girls-don't-play-games kind of smile but I insisted.  Five minutes into the game, he had a knowing smile on his face as he stared at me to the gamepads and back to the screen. One thing was certain, it was not the first time I 'd touch a gamepad. Growing up with my male cousins groomed me for that.  Life itself is a game and realising this in good time will help you pull through it with ease. Life is designed just like games just like your favourite Candy Crush to Grand Theft Auto , Super Mario or even Temple Run . It teaches you to scale hurdles and unlock higher realms of operation. Ga...