Skip to main content

After my neighbour

Episode 2

(Sequel to My Neighbour by Anita C Herbert)

I watched his hand hang as if he was offering me a glass of poison. He didn't take it back nor spoke a word.

How could this be possible? This guy has been my neighbour for three months or more and I don't even know. What else has he seen?

He should be singing along all my 'sad' blues playlist. He must have seen everything because those were moments I never cared about the world.

Nothing mattered to me, I just wanted to be alive at the mercy of God, whom I believe so much in.

Sure thing! I believe in God but only doubt how He works. Sometimes I wonder if He is really aware if some things, sometimes I wonder why things have to take long.

"I'm still here" Fred said to call me back to consciousness.

If I hadn't known Tony, I would have taken that hand, but there was something wrong with my neighbours. They just come and go and I remain lonely and heart broken.

My anger was boiling, but what did he do to me? His name was Fred and not God the creator of genotype.

I turned again and continued homeward without looking back  or caring if his hand was still hanging.

I'm a girl, not a game for my neighbours.

"Good morning Anita" A familiar voice called out as I was getting ready for work. No need to turn because I already knew it was Fred.

I didn't want to respond but that would mean I was taking the whole thing too person, so I gently turned to him.

I was then looking at a real model, his abs were like patches of muscles places by a certain god of sexiness, if one really existed. He was wearing a designer boxers, not too tight to show his bulkiness and not too loose to hide it as well.

His legs had more hairs unlike his chest. Yes! His chest would pass for a macho.

That was another trouble for me. Is it that my landlord was setting  me up or God was just sending handsome guys to be my neighbours.

"Good morning" I finally replied after a while.

He slapped the parker he was holding with a broom and still kept his eyes on me.

Then I realized something; I was wearing a bumshot and a spaghetti hand singlet that was revealing a good part of my boobs. More than a good morning cleavage.

"Hope your night was great" he asked, when he realized I had caught him staring.

"Yes it was" I walked towards my door after dropping some wastes in the bin.

"Anita!" He called again.

"What" I turned, hoping it would the last time.

"The drink will be today by 7:00pm at Emerald Bush Bar, should I pick you up or meet you there" He said confidently.

"Seems you don't give up?" I asked.

"No, not as long as I'm your neighbour" He said with a cute smile that matched his abs and muscles.

"Option one then" I replied and walked in before he could say thanks.

He actually said it, but I needed to run before he sees the excitement on my face.

For the first time in more than a year, I'd be going in a date with another guy after my Neigbour Tony.



©Chinedu Hardy Nwadike, 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado

IFEATU'S BUS CHRONICLE: THE FEAR OF THE WORD 'ASHEWO' IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM

Aluta Continua is one chant that resonates with everyone who has passed through a Public University in Nigeria and allowed school to equally pass through them.  Aluta Continua  is a Portuguese saying, meaning "The struggle continues". It is highly believed that it was discovered as an inscription on Kunta Kinte's commemorate. The correct wording of the phrase is actually " A luta continua , vitória é certa" meaning, "The struggle continues, victory is certain". It is the motto of the all- Nigerian  Students Union across all academic institutions of higher education. Coincidentally, anytime I am opportune to leave Lagos for a couple of days, weeks or months. On return, it's impossible not to observe the yellow striped buses and what comes to my mind is, "Aluta Continua, Drama é certa. I t is impossible for me to guarantee you that there will not be drama on a yellow bus.  This morning, our bus is riding at a slow pace with some passe