Skip to main content

After My Neighbour

Episode 1

(Sequel to My Neighbour by Anita C Herbert)

With days, weeks, months and just a year gone, my Neigbour and I started talking again but it was like reading a history book and pasting pictures of all the beautiful places you want to go on your fridge. Not that you can't go there, but you must not, so you can't.

Our romance became cordial and he told me how he struggled to move on. I could not tell him what I've been through, so I acted like a typical Nigerian Christian who always says it is well.

His name was Tony, a name I also vowed to give my son, if I  have one. I could still settle for Tonia if boys take time to come. I want to keep his memories fresh with me, I want to have him forever even when it was obvious he would be with someone else.

My Facebook inbox became a dumping ground for both married and single men who learnt the window was open. Every morning I stood in front of my door waiting for Tony to step out of his flat, but my neighbour was actually somewhere in USA.

"Anita why can't you tell him you miss him. You just de form badoo" My friend Jane would always say.

I was stubborn and a fighter; I could fight anything, love, pain, boredom and even myself. I was fighting myself everyday.

"Are you missing someone" A masculine voice asked. I hear things from men but that was different and I reluctantly turned and he wasn't bad for a man.

Oh my God! I just admired him. Hhmmm. Nice jawline, clean shaves, red lips and on that red lips, I asked myself "When was your kiss"

"Two centuries ago" the other side of me replied and the man stood there like a plastic model in a boutique.

"Do I owe you?" Yeah. I'm back and finally asked.

"I'm Alfred" He replied, I must confess his voice would be good for a pop star.

"Can I call you Fred?" I asked, after cooking up a little smile.

Who on earths meets you in the middle of nowhere to ask you if you're missing someone. Only this Fred guy could do it. But it won't work for him.

He bought my smile, returned it and gave me green light to call him Fred.

"Okay Fred, I asked if I owe you, not if I know you" I said. That's how hash I could be and usually the guy is supposed to conclude that I'm stupid, let me be and I will walk home peaceful.

"Yes and No" He replied. I used to be the tormentor but he took over now. His eyes were bright like a neon light and as they fixed on mine, it blinded me.

I was somehow deaf as if I was speaking through my eyes. He had intimidated me. Maybe he succeeded because I've not be in the game for a while. Maybe it was the will of God that I lose to him.

"Yes and No how?" I asked and then I realized I had been standing there with him, instead of walking home.

"No, you don't owe, yes you us some beautiful smiles and because I'm part of us, I'm asking for my share" He said.

As I digested those words, I watched his jawline move up and down, and the lips. Yes the red lips.

"What gave you the right to asked for that?"

"I've been watching you" He replied. Now it was his turn to smile.

"How long?" I asked.

"Two months or more" His response was shocking and I couldn't believe it.

"And your findings are"

"Plenty things, number one is lack of sweet smiles" He paused and stared deeper into my eyes.

He was beginning to amaze me. He was like magic, he was like a wand, how could he have taken time to read me that much.

"It could be trick" I told myself.

"Tell me the others" I said.

"under one condition" he said, still hanging on to the smile.

"Which is?"

"We get a drink together, dinner or anything"

"This guy has guts" I said within.

"How can I facilitate my own kidnap?" I asked.

"Just a drink, nothing more. Let the venue be your choice" He said and I felt like I have had enough.

"I'm too busy after work, it won't work. So sorry Fred. Goodbye" I said and walked away.

How did he even get me into this discussion?

"I've been watching you. You don't go out after work. You buy fruits twice a week from the woman at the junction. The next time you come is when you want to turn on your generator. You're bored. Let's get the drink" he said, having ran after me. His words were accurate and came with authority.

Everything he said was true.

"Who are you?" I asked and my tone was a little higher.

"Let's say your new neighbour" He said and stretched his hands for a handshake.


© Chinedu Hardy Nwadike, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado