Skip to main content

One fifty five (1:55)

Ever since I moved to Lagos, I had looked for a place to be perfectly comfortable for me. All the previous places I had lived in always had one fault or the other that made them not just my 'perfect place'. Lately, my agent informed me about a new self-contained apartment, the building had good security, constant water supply and the electricity was not too bad for a Nigerian to manage as they say 'E go better'.

As fast as the Wi-fi in University of Nigeria Nsukka, I had paid the rent and moved in. So now each morning as I knot my tie and carry my brief case, I hold my head high. A cool residential area and house has a way of lifting your spirit and I now had this feeling of one living in El-dorado.

The week had been tedious, so I came back today from work with so much to be done and the deadline hanging loosely like an hangman's noose and waiting to strangle me. My fingers pranced like an antelope on the run on my Apple laptop keyboard while my middle finger pressed the 'Enter key' intermittently. My sleep-deprived eyes stared into the screen lazily, the supply of electricity had been steady that night, it made the work easier.
Soon my mouth expanded in a yawn, I decided to sleep for at least two hours and continue later. I cleared my table and observed a paper that I had picked at my doorstep, it had 1:55 boldly written on it, I have a smirk on my face, it must have been from the babe living upstairs, probably she was hoping to have checked on me by that time but I was at work, I was not even ready for a 'neighbourly' fling or romance.

I stretched my tired arms and yawned once again then dawdled to the toilet. I stared at my tired face in the mirror then close my eyes to splash water over it from the tap, I open my eyes and see blood flowing out of the tap.
I shake my head in disbelief, close the tap and open it again, Yea! It's blood.

Frightened to the marrow, I rush to the room to wear my trousers and the light goes off, it comes on again.
The wind blows an eerie whisper, the hinges voluntarily swings the windows back and forth, the thunder rumbles, the gateman's roof makes squeaky noises and the dog in the next compound barks maliciously. My heart beat increases and my heart intends to jump out of my chest.

I grab the car keys and a flash light, I rush down the stairs nearly tumbling over the rails. I get to the last stairs and bump into a lady, I flash the light at her, she adorned a flowered frock, red lipstick, a pointed nose and two holes instead of eyes.

"1:55" , she said in an eerie whisper, my torchlight dropped and there was a black out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy ...

A letter from John

My bucket hat donned my head. It served the scorching sun right, my scalp was not one to be burnt for no offense. I relaxed my tired body against the board of the trawler. James yelled at me, "Don't just sit there and watch I and father. We will still catch some fishes, you can't just lose hope",he seemed to say. I peered at him through the corner of my eyes and closed them again. I felt cold water being sprinkled on me and I jerked up. It was father, I had no choice but stand up and join James.. I was not a man who wanted too many things. All I wanted was to catch some fishes yet the little things kept hiding and refusing to walk into the loving embrace of my fishing net. I may not desire many things but I sure desired to be loved not the kind of erotic love some of those Samaritan women would profess to men who lust after whore mongering. I sought for a love that was pure and chaste. A type that I couldn't even explain. I sought to be loved deeply by G...

WHY YOU MIGHT SPOT ME AT A GAME HOUSE

Chukwuebuka had been my friend for a long time.  I had come visiting and he had just bought a new Play Station 4 set way back then. We sat and discussed about  the Nigerian school system to politics, to social trends and ofcourse literature.  He had been waiting for 'the boys' so he could 'trash them' in a game.  "I would like to play," he gave me the 'girls-don't-play-games kind of smile but I insisted.  Five minutes into the game, he had a knowing smile on his face as he stared at me to the gamepads and back to the screen. One thing was certain, it was not the first time I 'd touch a gamepad. Growing up with my male cousins groomed me for that.  Life itself is a game and realising this in good time will help you pull through it with ease. Life is designed just like games just like your favourite Candy Crush to Grand Theft Auto , Super Mario or even Temple Run . It teaches you to scale hurdles and unlock higher realms of operation. Ga...