Skip to main content

IFEATU'S BUS CHRONICLE: ONE DAY FOR DAVID, ONE DAY FOR GOLIATH


Lagos.

Have you ever had to drive in the early hours of the morning through Lagos? Behind the facade of the skyscraper buildings in Lagos Island and the fancy restaurants in Lekki and Victoria Island, there are real people with real blood flowing through their veins that yawn and stretch at dawn then creep out of abandoned cars or even under bridges.

One of the unseen parts of this tale is that cities with more homeless people practise open defecation the most. This is why you can walk on the porch of the Lagos State University Campus, Ojo and stumble on faeces tied in cellophane nylon.

Today, I am disturbed as I spot a man pulling up his trousers and creeping out of a nearby bush. It was not the first time I will see such a sight. Perhaps, It was the number of people who have complained about diarrhoea and food poisoning recently that has made me apprehensive.

I plug in my earphones and allow the music filtering in diffuse into my soul. This is a ritual I am committed to daily.

The bus is moving at a fast pace. A woman on the second seat is yelling," If you want to die, driver. Go and die alone. No dey speed."

"Na wah for you o. Why you go wish person death this morning, madam?" The bus conductor comes to his driver's rescue in his hoarse voice.

Eyes are fixed to her. She looks a little remorseful. She keeps quiet. Quietness returns to the bus.

Just ahead, you could spot the sun gradually sticking out its fine yellow head to peep and send its light into the day. Brightness is sending its glow and you can see the  faces beside you clearly.

"Coker wa o!" It was a young man in shorts and a Gucci polo that abnormally had triple C- Guccci. Blame the Gucci headquarters in Lagos. They are yet to master the art of sticking to details.

Soon the bus stops abruptly and the young man alighted while another passenger at the bus stop replaced him. Just as the bus conductor aimed to leap up the stairs of the bus. He tripped.

There was a hand on his shorts.

"You don buy ticket? E fun mi owo ticket (Give me money for ticket)" A dark rough-looking tout growled at him.

"Na him make you wan wound me?" The conductor asks as he rolls his shirt ready to throw a punch.

"Haaaa! If na me,  I for turn beat this guy since" Another young man in the bus was fuelling.

"Leave me my trouser. You wan tear my cloth ni? The conductor seems to prefer dialogue than throwing punches.

The driver turns off the ignition and alights. He puts a hand on the touts grip forcing him to let go of his conductor.

"Kpraaaaaaaaa!" The trouser returned to a piece of cloth that was once sewn into a trouser. We could see the young man's boxers already. The infuriated conductor landed him a slap. Jabs and punches are   renting the innocent air.

The driver kept shoving the tout off his conductor.

Uncle Agbero (tout) was not letting go any time soon. "You must give me money for ticket."

A hefty man who had been angry all the while about his time being wasted alighted to help settle the fight. No way! They were all right. No consensus was in sight.

The passengers in unison agreed that the tout should not be given a dime. If he wanted to get paid, he had the duty to go and get a job. It is not news that commercial bus drivers in Lagos give a major part of their income to touts and shamefully to the Nigerian Police by coercion.


"Ole! Thief! Them no go give you shishi. Goan find work, my fren," a plump and troublesome looking woman yelled from the window.

Uncle hefty man who had been the peacemaker was losing his cool. He suddenly picked a dirty plank on the road and ran towards the fighting men. In split seconds, the driver ran to his seat, the conductor to the bus stairs and Uncle Agbero flew with the speed of light. He kept running even when the man had stopped.

There was a roar of laughter on the bus. In Lagos, everyone is mad. It just depends on if they have ever had a reason to showcase it.

Uncle hefty makes a return sprint, mounts the bus and we zoom off.

Uncle Hefty 1 Vs Uncle Agbero 0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado