Skip to main content

WEARING THE SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER'S HAT


Apart from your identity card, another thing that identifies or characterizes you will be your hat.

Hats? Yes, Hats. I hated them. I felt they had their way of denying my scalp air as a little girl plus I though it looked clumsy. This week, I took the time to observe the number of people I have been in contact with. Some wore hats and some didn't. 

Here's my observation; Baseballs hats or caps are for the cool kids, fedoras are for the older men, berets are for the frat guys, floppy female hats are for the bourgie and classy women. 
Interesting, isn't it? So, perhaps you can decide to embark on this with me and place people wearing hats in a category (But, don't tell them, that I sent you).


Credit: CNCAPS 

Social media managers too get to wear hats. Most likely not the Fedora, baseball ball or even beret. But they really do. Their hats are more superficial yet innate. These are characteristics they need to have to enble anyone spot them and say," Ahaaaan! That's the social media fellow."


Social media marketing skills are critically important today. It is through social media channels that people gain their perception of a brand and social media managers have a lot to do with forming it.
If you want to be a successful social media manager, there are certain skills you will pick up through certification but you have to go way beyond simply creating social media pages and posting content. 

So, If you are on your way to peg the 'Social Media Manager' tag on your breast pocket, here is what you need;

You need to be 'Creative Caroline'


Creativity is a very important attribute for social media managers. To prevent content from becoming boring or repetitive, you must constantly come up with fresh, innovative ideas. From posting engaging videos to coming up with Facebook contests, you have to find ways to attract attention away from your competitors.

Content creation and curation


Curating content is an important part of the job. As a social media marketer, you have to know how to create content, what to share as well as when and how to share it to achieve the most impact. This means being familiar with different social media platforms, sources of content and the preferences of audience.
Communication
As a social media manager, good communication skills are most important. You have to engage with customers and represent your brand. You also need to relate well to colleagues and reach out to influencers.
Studying how to become a social media manager is just the first step. You need to be able to understand the audiences you’re connecting with on social media and find ways to resonate with them.
All the biggest brands have one thing in common on social media – a community. If you find ways to resonate with an audience, you can build a community.
Strategic thinking
You need to cultivate your ability to think strategically and plan carefully instead of posting in a haphazard manner and expecting results.
Sociability is needed
The best social media managers are usually those who love being sociable and participate on various social media channels in a personal capacity. If you know the ins and outs of the different channels and can use the vernacular suitable to each one, you will fit right in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.
As a social media manager you need a diverse set of skills. Few people have all of these attributes but a good combination can make you the right person for the job. It can be an exciting and rewarding position, especially if you consider the impact you can have on the bottom line of your company.

You just have to be Mr Stretchy 

Change is a constant when it comes to dealing with social media. You must be flexible enough to respond to what’s happening, whether good or bad, and make adjustments where necessary.
On a scale of 1-5, how helpful was this?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT BIG THING: CREATING A NEW WORLD THROUGH MY LENS - KINGSLEY AGORUA

Jim Rohn had his opinion that "If you don't like where you, change it. You are not a tree." Kingsley Agorua had looked around where he found himself and decided to change it to suit his taste through his lens. My earliest contact with Kingsley should have been in 2012 when I was a student at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I spotted him at an event on campus where he was taking photographs. Little did I know that I would bump into him again at my faculty - The School of Health as a student. I was curious as to what a photographer was doing in my faculty during lecture period. Time will reveal that he was a student too who was madly in love with his camera. This was all before the advent of traditional or nearly compulsory bridal showers, baby showers and pre-wedding shoots in the Nigerian Creative Industry. Kingsley Agorua is a cinematographer with years of experience from Oguta in Imo state. He studied Dental Technology at the Federal University

WHY I WON'T BE BUYING ANYTHING AGAIN FOR A LIFETIME

Heads up, people!  Walking into a shop to purchase an item does not look appealing to me anymore. This is one of my decisions for the new year being that if something is not worth it then there is no point buying it especially trying to impress another fellow.  I have chosen to stick to buying experiences rather 'things.' One of my observation is that experiences cannot be stolen or compromised. They stick like your gum sap sticks to a tree.  So maybe before you buy that expensive Emporio Armani wristwatch or Jimmy Choo shoes, it might be imperative to checkmate if there are experiences that same amout can buy you. Don't get me wrong, it is as clear as crystal that you need to shop for clothings, food, phones or luxury from time to time but bear in mind that your happiness can't be tied to any item. That vibe you get is nothing but a fleeting one .  “One of the enemies of   happiness  is adaptation,”  Thomas  Gilovich reveals. “We buy things to make us happy

Helping hands or holding hands?

It was just last week. I set up a quiz for the pupils I teach. Teaching had never been something I looked forward to but it found me. I can tell you that despite I find myself standing in front of a board each morning, I feel more like I am learning. So, the doubts of if I relished teaching fizzled away. The experience has been fresh and worthy. I had two groups namely A and B consisting of three pupils each for the quiz. The pupils in group A were more of the intelligent stock and group B, I called them the average stock. Once we kicked off, group A had earned eight points leaving group B at two points. "We will finish you, people today", Vincent snarled. He is one of the smartest kids you 'd ever meet, a fast rising Chike Obi breed and the sole provider of the answers coming from his camp. I was tempted to caution him not to talk that way to them but I restrained myself and kept watching the unfolding drama. Group B seemed to have lost hope, they all had a shado